Friday 6 November 2009

A little bit of flour

It is now our 4th day in Dodoma and I am learning lots on the domestic front. For the first 2 days, we were spoilt and made thoroughly welcome by the MAF staff. They arranged a rota so that we had meals at different people's homes, which was a big help, as I am only just learning to navigate around my new kitchen.

But now reality sets in! I have so far conquered the art of boiling our milk on a 5-minute "rolling boil", with a saucer in the enormous pan to alert us when it boils! The milk comes fresh from a local cow and is brought to our gate by a young lad at 8:15am, but needs to be treated by us once it arrives. And I have just peeled a cucumber for the 1st time and popped some more veg in a pot to be cleaned by 'Milton' solution before I prepare them for eating.

Yesterday, I was taken into town to buy a few necessities, including flour so that we can get on with making our bread. It was suggested that I get just a "little bit of flour" and some oil, to see us through next week before we leave for language school... and I came home with a 5kg bag of flour! It is the biggest bag of flour I have ever bought, but apparently, the norm for a family purchase of flour is a whopping 25kg bag!! So here is Ben, posing with my purchases... And the next task in hand is to learn how to clean rice- we shall see how I get on!



1 comment:

  1. Great to hear you all arrived safe & well. I'm sure your container will in due course :o)
    I love the blog... great idea!
    Let us know how the bread making goes.
    Love to you all from a soggy Southport.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete