Sunday 14 March 2010

Shopping Locally

Earlier this weeek, as I munched my way through my breakfast of Weetabix and weevils (the weevils are a complementary addition to Dodoma's cereals), I was making a mental shopping list of the food we needed and planning when and where I could buy everything.
Although many goods need to be bought in town or in the city market, some products can be bought locally. It is always pleasant to stroll to the local "duka" (shops) to meet the sellers and practise our Swahili: so I thought I'd let you see some of the locals on our doorstep where we do some of our shopping.

This is the local duka, where my early attempts to buy "Blue Band" margarine in November caused such hilarity. I have a little more Swahili now, which definitely helps!


Ben helps out, as he passes our friendly shop-keeper the money for a bar of soap. This shop-keeper tells me that he is a Liverpool Football supporter (sorry about that for you, Ian + Stephen!!)


For bananas, carrots, onions, mangoes and tomatoes, I can nip down the road to Mama Patricia's duka, not far outside the MAF compound:


On Friday mornings, we have a visit at the MAF compound from Mama Kevin, who brings fruit and vegetables for us to purchase. She arrives with her basket sedately carried on her head and supplies me weekly with cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans and a variety of fruit or other vegetables, depending what is in season. For a few extra shillings, it is worth paying in order to have fresh supplies brought directly to our front door. One week, we even had rhubarb, which made a very nice crumble and really made us feel at home!

5 comments:

  1. Longing to come shopping with you.
    Such interesting reading and graphic photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Mum! Look forward to taking you shopping when you visit!XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping sounds a lot more fun (but also challenging)than my weekly Morrisons shop.
    Ian bought Ste & Daniel matching Everton kits for Christmas - I must e-m you the photo sometime! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you strained out those weevils! Were they wriggling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weevils do tend to be quite active- less of a wriggle- more of a dash across the breakfast bowl, or a helpless drowning into the milk!! Makes breakfast more interesting!! BTW- not sure who I am replying to? Liz

    ReplyDelete