Friday 28 May 2010

Diversions

For the past couple of weeks, Dodoma roads were in disarray as work was carried out on the major roundabout in the town centre, which is on our route to school. My early morning route to school to drop off Esther changed without warning. Suddenly, one Tuesday morning, there were roadblocks across several roads and the roundabout was shut. I sought out new ways to get to school, but day by day, different roads were blocked off: just as I found one way to get to school, it would subsequently be blocked the next day! The roadworks seemed to extend to new areas each day.

The school run became quite a challenge! Some days, I decided on the easier option of cycling to school with Esther on the back of my bike. I could get the bike through the roadblocks and use the familiar route. Cycling was not always practical though, if no-one was home to look after Ben or we were giving someone a lift.

So I discovered more of the Tanzanian capital city over the 2 weeks of diversions! I also honed my 4x4 vehicle driving skills, as some of the city roads are more like the surfaces we expect in a rural location:


...and sometimes the dust of Dodoma made visibilty rather poor on the sandy roads.




I also saw more of the city in which we are living- the hustle and bustle of the streets behind the market, seeing new stores and learning about new places where I can go to buy certain goods.


All in all,the diversions brought about an interesting experience!
The roads are now back to normal- and I must say, I do appreciate the time saved on the journey across town and I am appreciating anew the tarred roads and the city roundabout!

1 comment:

  1. Our rural roads here generally compare favourably with the the ones in your photo except that ours are much narrower and quite scary when meeting tractors or big lorries going in the opposite direction and maybe the muddy patches and potholes left after the snowy frosty wintry are somewhat hazardous. Let's hope that your blocked off roads have meant great improvements -maybe more tarmaccing? (spelling?)m

    ReplyDelete