Wednesday 18 August 2010

A touch of British culture in Tanzania...

Last week, a little piece of British culture made its way into my living room here on the MAF Dodoma compound...

To celebrate my first birthday in Tanzania, I thought that it might be nice to bring something traditional from England to our multi-national community here- and decided an English Afternoon Tea was just the thing for the ladies here! Seeing as Andrew was away for the 2 nights either side of my birthday, flying medical staff for a hospital in the north of the country, I invited ladies only to come and celebrate with me (while all the energetic children were sent outside to play and eat popcorn!). We got together on the Thursday afternoon, representing 6 nationalities between us.
To be true to the old English Afternoon Tea traditions, I made cucumber sandwiches to accompany home-made scones, with strawberry jam I found in the local "duka" (the label on the jar says 65% sugar, so not much room for fruit, but at least it looked like strawberry jam!) and I whipped up a packet of "Dream Topping" (from my English container supplies) to stand in as cream.
We had tea and biscuits as well and a loaf of Tea-Bread from an old Lake District recipe my Mum had given me.

However, for me, the "icing on the cake" came when a fruit and veg seller turned up at our gate, selling, of all things, wonderful fresh strawberries! They are grown in the hilly and more rainy area of Morogoro- a 3 hour drive away. I was so excited to have fresh strawberries on my birthday! I bought 2 bowl-fulls and was able to decorate my cake with big, fat, juicy strawberries- how much more English could my Afternoon Tea be??

Time to cut the cake, with a bit of help from Ben... :-)

4 comments:

  1. Looks lovely, wish I had been there. Ben looks on target for the cake ! A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum looks delicious.Good on you too for not moping cos Andrew had to fly away for your birthday.
    Claire looks well on the photo.
    Glad you were able to have a celebration in tradtional way and with strawberries too -Wow!.
    O that reminds me of Precious Ramotswe and her tradional build -glad to say that you haven't become so acclimatised to reach that status -yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmm. You managed a grear looking spread. Shame we couldn't have shared it with you via skype - perhaps a bit messy though! Glad you were able to enjoy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy belated birthday Liz! glad you're introducing some English culture over there...

    ReplyDelete