Friday 19 November 2010

Graduation Day

Since arriving in Tanzania just over a year ago, there have been many "first time" experiences. Yesterday was another "first" for me. Earlier in the week, my neighbour Julie-Anne popped in to ask me if I would consider being a 'Guest of Honour' at a Graduation ceremony and coming along to give a speech!

It all sounded rather daunting, but as the details emerged, I realised it was not as huge a task as it first sounded and would be a fun afternoon for us all. It would be the older children at a local Tanzanian Nursery school (where Julie-Anne helps out) who would be "graduating" from pre-school and preparing to start Reception class early next year. My speech, thankfully, was to be less than 5 minutes long and there would be a translator, so I could go ahead and speak in English. My role was to congratulate the children, to hand out their end-of-year prizes, smile sweetly at the "top table" and give a short speech addressed to parents, children and the church pastor who was hosting the event. I was looking forward to it -and extra pleased to have such a grand-sounding title for such a pleasant task!

Esther and Ben thoroughly enjoyed themselves with their MAF friends, Julie-Anne's children (named Esther, Benjamin and Joshua!!) and made new friends. There was a local choir performing music and dance, while the small pupils performed some drama and singing. Andrew and I got to practise our Swahili in a local environment, despite doing the main part of my speech in English. We all sampled delicious graduation cake -Ben's favourite part, I think- which is fed to you by the graduates (!! a bit tricky but lots of fun!) and we enjoyed the meal of rice and beans served to all after the event, cooked by the mums and teachers. I even got presented with beautiful, bright, Tanzanian dress for my role as 'Elizabeti Parker, Guest of Honour'!

The Entertainment:
Ben P and Benjamin C watch the proceedings attentively:
But Esther and Esther appear to be a little distracted by their toys: Happy Graduates:
Graduation cake: Cake-feeding time: Julie-Anne and I round off the evening with our cake, beans and rice:

1 comment:

  1. What a charming blog,so colourful and a wonderful idea to have a graduation celebration for the little ones. Loved the garlands and happy smiles,the cake eating and would have enjoyed the entertainment tremendously.Looks like you and J.A.are enjoying the eats and looking at the two Esthers and the two Bens who says that little girls and little boys aren't different? You look great in your Tanzanian dress. Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete