Monday 31 October 2011

Malaria

Malaria. It is a frightening word. So when the local doctor told me on Wednesday evening that Joel had tested positive for malaria, I was sent into disarray. Joel is such a tiny little tot and to think that he was suffering with malaria, on top of a nasty chest infection and cough, was a scary concept. He had already been up to the Dodoma clinic that morning  (yet another visit for baby Joel - his 3rd since we got back to Dodoma in June) and was taking some bright pink antibiotic, but now I needed to find out what medicine to give him for malaria.

Andrew was away for 3 days, without contact, in northern Tanzania working with the Masaai. I was alone with the 3 children, my head spinning and not sure what to do next. Of course, one of the first things one does in a crisis is to phone one's Mum (on Skype)!! But being far away England, there was not much she could pratically do to help me find medicine, calm my screaming baby and feed, bath and get the other 2 children to bed. However, she could say a prayer and we are so grateful to all those she also contacted who have sent messages of love and support and who have prayed us through this latest Tanzania family "crisis".

My other immediate course of action was to rush outside and ask our neighbours help. My MAF friend Mirjam "happened" to be outside in the compound on her way home across town, and seeing as her baby David ( Joel's little friend, only 2 days his junior in age) had also tested positive for malaria a few days earlier, she was an excellent source of advice and able to give me some medicine and get Joel started on his course of anti-malarials. My other MAF compound neighbours were also amazingly kind and helpful, visiting the doctor for me to double-check that I had understood all the particulars of the test with my less-than-fluent Swahili, stopping by to check on us over the next couple of days, taking over my school runs for me.

It was also fantastic to have Andrew's sister close by. On receiving my worried phone call, Claire jumped into a taxi and headed across town to spend the night here with us. I don't know how I would have coped otherwise. She was able to help with administering solid anti-malaria pills to a crying 7-month old (who is still without any teeth!!) at 8pm and then 3am, with carrying a very upset Joel around, helping to give him his anti-biotics, freeing me up to get Esther and Ben to bed after their hurried "dinner" of Weetabix and chopped apple!!

Joel is now much better, to our great relief. His chest still sounds sore, he is still coughing but he has no sign of a fever at present and seems much happier in himself.
I sincerely hope I shall never be blogging again about the threat of malaria reaching us- and that the news of Joel's health can be good news, rather than these too-frequent reports of ill health and worry.

6 comments:

  1. Poor little Joel but how wonderful that once again the lord surrounded us all with so many caring,praying people,yes even including nana at home in.EnglandAnd all those helpful people in the right place at the right time.We pray that youwill all be kept in good health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news about Joel, giving thanks to God for answered prayer and praying for ongoing protection for you all, A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry to read about you having to go through such a tough time but glad things are sounding like they are getting better and that you had people around to help and provide support (and for the support Claire provided). Having visited recently I understand (to extent I can) how concerning health issues are over there. Hope Joel's health continues to improve. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to read about the difficult time you have had recently, but isn't God great, putting people in place just when you need them. Hope everything and everyone is now getting better. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as always.
    Pauline & John

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've obviously had a very scary time. We've been upholding you all in prayer. So glad to hear Joel is on the mend, although I know his chest is still bad. I do hope the rest of you all stay fit and well J xxx

    ReplyDelete