Monday 30 January 2012

The Rhetorical Question

I am happily recovered now from a recent illness which made me feel utterly exhausted and struggling with an intermittent fever which would come and go, but was mostly present every evening and through the night.
For 2 weeks, I felt unwell, so I am grateful now that I feel back to full health and that my energy has returned.
Over the course of the 2 weeks, I tested for malaria, as it seems to be the most likely cause of fever and exhaustion, but all 4 tests were negative. I also went to the clinic in Dodoma, where the staff took my blood pressure (normal), weighed me (a little underweight at the moment, but I'm working on that- bring on the chocolate!!) and sent me to the laboratory for a malaria test, blood tests for all kinds of illnesses or any sign of a bacterial infection and the standard Dodoma-clinic sample tests (details withheld for the sake of any sensitive blog readers out there!). All tests came back saying that there was no sign of any infection, any nasty parasites or worms (thankfully!!) nor any malaria or illness that they could identify. Whatever it was that was making me feel unwell remains to this day a complete mystery.
This can often be the case in Dodoma. We get sick, we put off going to the clinic until we have to and then when we do go, we still may not know what is wrong. So when people ask, "What's wrong?" the question is more of a rhetorical question!
Finally, I spoke to Interhealth in London, who were most helpful. They sugested that I should try taking a course of tablets to treat malaria, just in case, to see if it made me any better. Andrew leapt into action, taking down the antimalarials pills which are an essential component of our Dodoma medicine cupboard and he sorted out my correct doses and tucked me into bed with my initial dose of  4 pills and a glass of milk.
Four days later, I began to feel much better and am now fully recovered. The malaria treatment seemed to work- but whether I actually had malaria or whether the pills just killed off another type of infection, we will never know! So if you ask me what was wrong with me, I couldn't tell you- it's the rhetorical question!

2 comments:

  1. Really glad you are better, A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate will be the first thing into our suitcases!

    ReplyDelete