Monday 7 May 2012

Fairy Liquid

Shopping in Dodoma can be a bit random. One week I can find all kinds of goodies. The next week, the shelves can be rather bare; I come home from the shops without finding many of the items on my shopping list. Some weeks, there is no cheese. Or perhaps no sausages or bacon. For months, it was impossible to find yoghurt, not even even a small pot as a starter to make our home-made yoghurt.
An important shopping list item is washing-up liquid. Back in England, my preferred choice has always been Fairy Liquid, so I was delighted when bottles of it appeared a few months ago on the shelves of the Indian food stores where I do my shopping! I bought a bottle and went home excited that I could now do dishes with quality Fairy Liquid!
However, my excitement was short-lived. Once that precious bottle of bubbles ran out, I went back to Dodoma town in search of a second bottle- but in vain- so when we went to Dar es Salaam in March, Fairy Liquid was high on my shopping list at the big Dar supermarkets. I bought 2 bottles and stored them carefully away in our cupboard on returning to our house.
Back home, I was surprised and pleased to discover more Fairy Liquid on the shelf of Dodoma's "2 Sisters" store! I thought perhaps I had better buy another bottle, just to add to my stock, in case it runs out again.
The following week, the same thing happened and I subconsciously picked up another bottle...It seems that I have now become automatically programmed in Dodoma so that when I see something I like, I quickly stock-up, just in case we don't see that product again for many months.
But I surprised even myself last week when I added one more bottle to my growing supplies... maybe I got a little carried away this time??


2 comments:

  1. Good job Fairy Liquid doesn't go sour! N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. I know! I sometimes feel it is like living during rationing as you never know what the shops will be out of. I bought a stash of vanilla essence one week.

    ReplyDelete