Saturday 13 April 2013

Zoo

Who needs to go to the zoo for a bit of interest when you can come and live in Tanzania?

Yesterday evening, I had a frog in my kitchen, a snake in the washing-machine room, 4 kittens and a cat in a box by the back door and a hedgehog sniffing round the cat-bowl. That's not to mention the geckos who live in our larder and bathrooms and all the many insects we do battle with on a daily basis. Or, a little further afield, the huge cow who nearly knocked Ben and I off our bikes as we went for a short cycle ride yesterday afternoon!
 This huge and very determined brown cow bore down on us with surprising speed- we just had time to pull our bikes into the bush at the side of the path before she galloped past- and even then, the overpowering stink of mud on her flanks nearly knocked us over! I'm still not sure whether I was more scared of being flattened by the run-a-way cow or of the snake that slithered past my bare feet last night on its way out of the back door!!
One thing is for certain. Life is never boring in Dodoma.

2 comments:

  1. Well, your blog set me thinking as to what kind of zoo we have here in Scarisbrick, nothing as exotic as Dodoma but we could offer you an army of slugs, a furry tabby pussy, some horses in the field at the end of the garden,one or two mice and shrews various spiders and one or two stray or visiting cats which are promptly seen off by our puss. Sadly our friendly blue tits, sparrows and blackbirds no longer care to visit not wishing to share premises with puss. Oh and we did have a hedgehog one evening who tried to share puss's supper. nana x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I grew up walking in fields full of cows but I'm still afraid when I encounter them. They can be unpredictable! Do you think the snake was attracted in by the kittens?

    ReplyDelete