Tuesday 18 June 2013

Weird and Wonderful

We get some weird creatures in our garden and home in Dodoma.

I am not quite sure what this is... it looks like a leaf, but it crawls! And when you get close up, it is really quite cute:
 He was quite happy on Ben's hand, but personally, I did not enjoy the feel of his sticky little feet on my skin!! Ugh!! Ben is much braver than his mum with "wadudu" ("insects" in Swahili!!).

As for this praying mantis, I find them such fascinating creatures, with their swivelling heads, bulging eyes , skinny stick-like bodies and wings that look just like the leaf he is climbing!
This chap wasn't too happy about having his picture taken. He gave me quite a look, turning his head to give me a hard stare! I didn't dare to touch him- apparently they can give a nasty bite!

Unfortunately, we have lots of the nastiest of weird creepy crawlies in Dodoma- the revolting cockroach! The way they wave their nasty little antennae and the way they scuttle around at 50 miles an hour when I try to capture them gives me the creeps! However, it truly was wonderful to get up in the morning and find this one swimming in the toilet, instead of crawling around in my kitchen! A few flushes later and this one had departed to the underworld of the Dodoma sewerage system- far more suitable than lurking in the dark corners of my cupboards!


2 comments:

  1. Fascinating! that's one aspect of Dodoma life you can keep!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time I we read this, your cockroach may have made his way through the drains to us in England. I wouldn't put it past him,
    they've got no manners or decorum, you know. Dad x

    ReplyDelete