Monday 25 November 2013

Time Out

It is that dreaded time again. The season of "Packing Up Our Home".

Already, the house is starting to look chaotic everywhere that I turn....



Being at home with me while I start the packing up process, Joel tries to help out where he can!

These are busy times. Sorting and decision-making for packing feel exhausting (should it be packed up to go with us to SS, should it be sold here, should it be packed for our few weeks in Nairobi??). Andrew is frequently away in Dar es Salaam for flight exams, tests and practice. This week he is away from early this morning until Thursday evening. The children need their mum for the usual day-to-day school run, packed lunches, home-work etc. And unfortunately, the children keep getting sick (Ben is lying listless and sick in bed as I write this). I know I should be all calm and patient, but the stress levels are rising!

Thankfully, I have had 2 opportunities recently for some Time Out! :-) Time away from the disorder of a slowly dismantling home and time to rest from the necessary recent demands. I really have appreciated the last 2 weekends- a real gift at an unusually busy time!

Two weekends ago, I went on a 24-hour Ladies Retreat.

The location: a nearby convent, just 30 minutes up the road from our home:

 It was such a calm and peaceful location, nestled close to a grove of orange trees:

The setting was surprisingly rural for a convent so close to Tanzania's capital. Nearby residents were completely quiet- but I guess that is not surprising when they mainly seemed to be tortoises, in all shapes and sizes, right down to this little cutie:

The people:  we were 11 lovely ladies!

We had plenty of time to take stock, reflect and rest: I really enjoyed the break. I had never been to a convent before and to my surprise, I enjoyed the peace and quiet, so I told Andrew that maybe I should return and perhaps join the nuns? He laughed out loud and said I would be fine until "Silent Time" and then I would probably get expelled for talking.... Cheeky! But also true! 24 hours was just enough time to enjoy it without missing my family too much, as well as my friends and, of course, a jolly good natter!


The second "Time Out" opportunity was this last weekend. It was our MAF international staff weekend away.

The location: a conference centre situated in the beautiful highlands of Morogoro, a 4 hour drive from Dodoma:

 There were lots of activities, fun times, staff talks, games and movie-time, as well some music times, where some of  the kids played their mini-instruments...
 ...to join in with us grown-ups on our larger musical instruments...

I snapped some shots of our Sunday morning service:

And I took a couple of pictures of "The Pilots" deep in conversation about flying matters- the 5 men who currently fly for MAF within Tanzania and 1 new pilot who is settling in before he "replaces" Andrew on the Tanzania team in January 2014:


 The people: and finally, here we all are: the International Staff team of MAF Tanzania:
It was a great weekend away and wonderful to spend some much appreciated "time out" with our work colleagues/ friends before moving on to join a different team in a different place...

5 comments:

  1. It's well past my bedtime but I so enjoy your blogs that I've stayed up to read this. We're glad to see you're still playing the flute and pleased you've had a little respite. Do hope and pray Ben's mysterious sickness will soon be sorted. Thanks for keeping us feeling close to you all through your writing and photos. Joel looks like he's being really helpful! Night night love nana x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what happy lively pictures. It's so good to see you playing in your ensemble. I can just hear the beautiful music from looking at the picture. I knew there were no wrong notes of course. Doesn't MAF take good care of you all! And that group photo, little
    Joel sitting in the front like a little tadpole, and Ben with Aleah, and his sister-pops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No room to sign my name for the comment above. GRANDDAD with lots of X X X X X X X X X !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could come and help you with all that packing.... I liked Ben & Joel's football kits. Looks like you had a great weekend together, hope all goes well with the move. A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are all very busy! I posted a Christmas parcel to you yesterday. I hope it reaches you in time. God bless, love Wend xx

    ReplyDelete