Saturday 31 May 2014

Mistaken Confidence

Well, I was mistaken about that rat: he just ran by Andrew's toes when Andrew went into the kitchen to fetch a glass of water! Andrew fished out the trap and re-set it, which made an almighty "bang!", sending the rat into a panic. It darted into Andrew's office across the hall way, sending me into a panic!
 As I type these words, I hear the sound of battle! Andrew has bravely entered the office, closed the door on his hysterical wife and is now crashing around with a broom, a wooden rod and a mop trying to squash the Invader. So far, it's not working- the wily little thing keeps disappearing into hidey holes.

On Monday, Andrew leaves for Juba again. I am not relishing the thought of another week in a house, with a rat but without Andrew's help!
There is one thought that helps: just 5 more weeks in this Nairobi house- and then we'll be moving out! Apparently, there is a bit of a problem with cockroaches in our new house in Juba, as Andrew reported after visiting there 2 weeks ago. But what is a mere cockroach compared to a disgusting rat?? I guess all things are relative and if I have to choose, at least a cockroach, although foul and malevolent-looking, is not as vicious as a rat!! Maybe having a resident rat is good preparation for steeling me against the cockroaches to come! Although, if anyone knows of any effective anti-cockroach poison or tactics, I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. O dear I put my comment for this blog on the previous entry. I guess it's what comes of playing catch up with your blogs after our holiday. On a brighter note, I've not seen any slugs lately. I think they had a hey day in the very wet weather last year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have loved to see Andrew going into battle with his rod and mop !! x

    ReplyDelete