Wednesday 1 August 2012

Snake Alert!

There was a snake in our next door neighour's garden this morning! Thankfully, it was swiftly dealt with.

The snake provided much excitement for the children, with lots of wild screaming, with running up and down the MAF compound whilst the adults were busy dropping stones on it to kill it and then it became a fascinating nature lesson, once it no longer posed a threat!

 We're still not sure what type of snake it was- maybe a harmless grass snake, maybe a deadly mamba... definitely not taking a risk waiting to find out, especially with lots of little children busy playing on the compound.
Where there are snakes, there are likely to be many rats- a preferred delicacy of the snake menu, I hear. I am therefore extremely grateful for our cat Moshi, who is a brilliant Rat-Killer. However, I would prefer it if she did not drop off her offerings on my back door step! This charming gift was deposited at my door early one morning a couple of weeks ago:

The following morning Moshi surpassed herself by leaving an even more gruesome offering- she must have been extra hungry, as this time we opened the door to find these hind quarters of a rat!
 Andrew is getting used to hearing me screaming when I open the back door! I only hope that if something really dangerous presents itself close at hand, I can muster up a special emergency scream to make sure Andrew takes good notice and doesn't dismiss the emergency as simply another dead rat!

1 comment:

  1. Would love to know what was said to make Esther Ben and Aleah laugh or is it that they were pleased to see the snake rendered harmless.
    Oh Ben where are all your 'airs?!
    Would not be keen on receiving Moshi's offerings on my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete