Tuesday 16 October 2012

Flora

There is a shortage of margarine in Dodoma at the moment.

There are 2 shops in town where we can purchase margarine. One shop had no margarine at all today.

The other shop had a stock of about 10 tubs of margarine. I was excited to see that about 8 of those tubs were "Flora"- its the 1st time I've seen such a recognisable UK brand of margarine in Dodoma! I picked up two tubs and headed to the counter...but beat a hasty retreat back to the fridge when I was told that the cost of a single 500 gram tub of margarine would be 12,000 Tanzanian shillings = £4.72!!!
Does anyone know the cost of a 500 gram tub of Flora in a UK shop at the moment?? I am pretty sure it is not close to the Dodoma cost!
I ended up coming home with one of the other 2 tubs of margarine, which seems to be from the Middle East judging by the Arabic writing on the side. It looks pretty decent and was far less expensive. I'm hoping it will taste good on our home-baked bread- despite the fact that the expiry date on the tub is yesterday's date...!

1 comment:

  1. Dare I say that I bought a 500g tub of Flora for £1 on Friday. It was on special but even so no real comparison. Not the sort of thing we can send to you through the post unfortunately but will stock up for Christmas so you can enjoy to your hearts content or how about a wholemeal sandwich with creamy butter and homemade jam ?nana

    ReplyDelete