Thursday 6 January 2011

Tanzanian Tent-Wear

Being pregnant in a very hot Dodoma can be somewhat uncomfortable. However, help is at hand in the form of my Tanzanian Maternity Wear! It may not seem very fashionable or stylish to the English eye, but it is the best way to be comfy and to feel cooler, as I wear my self-named "tents"!
I now possess 3 "tents", which are incredibly comfortable and just perfect for the scorching temperatures here, as they simply float around my baby-bump and give lots of freedom for climbing in and out of the car, playing with the children, getting on with jobs at home... etc. Horray for my Tanzanian tent-wear!
My new tent, which I spotted in the market last week and my favourite one so far:
This bright and cheerful number was the gift given to me when I acted a "Guest of Honour" at the Nursery School graduation event a few weeks ago- hard to be inconspicuous while wearing it, but my Tanzanian friends love it!
A local lady made this last one for me out of some material I found at the market- it is very comfortable and I was impressed by how quickly Frida transformed a piece of cloth into a dress for me- I seriously lack skill in the sewing department, but many ladies out here are amazing with their dress-making expertise.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for the tent! You look great in all of them. I guess you're bump is getting quite big now, tho' its hard to tell from the pictures. Take care, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed Ben has had his haircut - so has Daniel. I keep getting a shock when I turn round and see him! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't help being amused at the expression on Ben's face, does he disapprove of "the Tent"?
    In comparison Esther looks very much in favour.Dare I comment in this age of equality and ask," is apprecation of the tent just a question of being male or female?" The blue colour of tent number one really suits you,all the colours are lovely and I particularly like the design of the green tent especailly the bottom half.Well done Frida.

    ReplyDelete