Sunday 3 July 2011

The Issue of Health

One of the biggest challenges as a Mum here in Dodoma is the worrying lack of reliable healthcare. Bringing a small baby out to Dodoma was a scary step for me. In the last few weeks, this concern has really been highlighted. This past week has been particularly upsetting and stressful.
On Sunday last week, our MAF programme manager, Ian, slipped on a wet floor and painfully broke his hip. In order to get reliable medical help in these circumstances, Ian had to be airlifted out of Dodoma to Nairobi in Kenya on Monday. A MAF plane had to be flown down especially to accommodate the stretcher that Ian had to lie flat on. He has been operated on and now spends his recovery time up in Kenya. Dodoma simply lacks the medical facilities to deal reliably with such a situation.
Meanwhile, in the Parker household last weekend, Andrew was getting over a nasty stomach bug accompanied with high fever. On Sunday, Ben joined the crew of invalids with vomiting, upset stomach and fever, followed by Esther, who developed ear-ache and fever on Tuesday!Fortunately, these were minor ailments.
But sadly, on Tuesday morning, we received the much more serious news that one of our MAF guards had lost his beautiful 6 month old daughter in the night, to a bout of pneumonia. This dreadful news comes just 4 weeks after another MAF Tanzania couple who work here in our Dodoma office lost their 4 month old daughter suddenly. As a team, we have been upset and saddened by these awful losses.
When Joel suddenly developed a high fever, diarrhoea and a cold on Tuesday night, fear hit hard. If this was a serious illness, how would I find the correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment here in Dodoma, far from any modern hospital and far from easy access to a wide range of peadiatric medicines? In the dark of a Dodoma night, my imagination ran away with me, especially as recent sad events played on my mind. Andrew was away until Thursday in the north of Tanzania, with no contact. Without his calm influence, my stomach was tied in knots as my mind played over some of the frightening possibilities of illnesses that can be contracted here.
On Wednesday, I did a malaria test as Joel's fever burned. Thankfully the result was negative.
The high fever continued until Friday morning, with a short reprieve, before it climbed again from Friday afternoon. By this stage, Joel had paid a visit with me to the local clinic on Thursday- a long 4 hour visit. A stool sample was taken, a blood test done and another malaria test. A 2 hour wait followed for Joel's test results, where Joel and I attracted much attention as the only non-Tanzanians and where I got the opportunity to practise my Swahili with some of the other mums.
No concrete results showed up- just signs of a virus, but thankfully no malaria. The Dr was very helpful, warning me to keep Joel hydrated, especially in this hot climate. I left the clinic with sachets of oral rehydration fluids and set to work at home sterilising our baby syringe to begin the rehydration process.
By Saturday, many tears had been shed, the Calpol box was getting emptier and our thermometer had put in much overtime! The fever and diarrhoea continued. Anxiety settled like a lead weight in my stomach. Having any of my little ones sick is always a concern- but here in Dodoma, Joel seems extra vulnerable.
On Saturday afternoon, a kind leader from our local church came over with a friend at our request and prayers were said for little Joel. On Saturday evening, Joel slept really well, fed really well and finally, my over-used thermometer began to show lower and lower temperatures... :-) Today, he seems much happier and so far the fever is staying away. As Joel improves, my stress levels drop. We'll keep you posted...

3 comments:

  1. Just testing... I've lost my previous comments 3 times so not risking a lengthy one til I know I've sorted it Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I was trying to say, was I was rejoicing to have found your blog up and running again, but saddened to hear of such a shocking series of events. Our prayers are with you for health and strength to cope with these trials. I do hope Joel continues to be on the mend. We were away last week for a much needed holiday, but all four of us ended up with temp / sickness. Its SO different herte though. I guess we take it for granted that medical help is just a call away should we need it. Postcard to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this after several texts and prayers ,we're so glad Little Joel is on the mend.Do hope Ian is also progressing well.For us the frustration lies in being so far away and being unable to offer any kind of physical support, but maybe we are all learning some deeper lessons in the school of prayer.love you all xxxxx

    ReplyDelete