Saturday 9 July 2011

It's the small things...

It's definitely the small things in life which can make a big difference! My shopping experience here in Dodoma has vastly improved since our return from England, thanks to the egg boxes I brought back in my suitcase! Who would have thought an eggbox could be so helpful?? Previously, I would buy my eggs, be handed them in a little black plastic bag and inevitably, at least one or two would be broken by the time I got home! Very frustrating.

Now, no more Tanzanian shillings are wasted on broken eggs, as I can take my cardboard boxes to the "duka", have my eggs safely stowed away and return home with as many as I bought! I may be smiled on as the rather odd foreigner, but it's worth it for all those cakes we bake here with our lovely, unsmashed eggs!

2 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at how you manage to write about so many different things from Dodoma and find the time to do so too..Who would have thought that egg boxes could be so highly valued?!
    What a lot of things we take for granted here.
    will now see my egg boxes in a different light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, how right you were to take the egg boxes. There's no need for anyone to think it's some quirk of a European. What you're doing is introducing intermediate technology. It's on the same level as introducing spades or wheelbarrows. So there!

    ReplyDelete